I wanted to cooked something today that was both tasty and healthy, and came across these two recipes that I want to share with you all!!! ENJOY!!
FOR THE CHICKEN:
6 chicken thighs (skin on or off, bone in or out)*
2-3 teaspoons garlic powder
Salt and pepper
FOR THE SAUCE:
1 tablespoon minced garlic
400 g | 14 oz cups sliced mushrooms (1½ cups)
1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs**
2 teaspoons fresh chopped parsley
1½ cups 2% milk***
1 teaspoon chicken bullion powder (or stock powder)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon cornstarch (cornflour) mixed with 2 tablespoons of extra 2% milk****
¾ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese, divided
¼ cup fresh chopped parsley (EXTRA), to serve
Preheat oven to 200°C | 400°F.Season chicken with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Heat cooking oil spray in a large, non stick and oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Sear chicken thighs until golden and crispy on each side (about 3-4 minutes each side).
- Transfer chicken to the oven and roast until completely cooked through, (about 25-30 minutes).
- Once chicken is done, transfer to a warm plate and set aside. Drain some of the excess fat from the skillet, reserving 2 tablespoons for added flavour.
- Return skillet to the stove over medium-high heat and sauté the garlic in the pan juices until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add the mushrooms, herbs and 2 teaspoons of parsley and fry until mushrooms begin to soften.
- Reduce heat to low-medium heat, add the milk (or cream) and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally, and being careful not to boil. Add in the bullion powder and season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Pour the milk/cornstarch mixture to the centre of the pan, and continue to simmer while quickly stirring the mixture through until the sauce thickens.
- Add ½ cup of parmesan cheese; allow sauce to simmer for a further minute until cheese melts through the sauce. Add the chicken back into the pan and allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes in the cream to take on the flavours. Taste test and add extra salt or pepper, if desired.
- Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup of parsley and ¼ cup parmesan cheese.
- Serve with steamed rice, over steamed vegetables or pasta.
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 banana
- 2 cups pineapple
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon whole flaxseeds
- 4-5 ice cubes
- 1) In a blender add the spinach and milk and blend until smooth.
- 2) Add the remaining ingredients and blend until well combined.
- 3) Pour and serve immediately!